[openstack-community] OpenStack Birthday Feedback

Kendall Waters kendall at openstack.org
Mon May 16 15:05:00 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

For the past few years, the Foundation has contributed funding & graphics for "birthday parties" organized by official user groups around the world. It's something we have celebrated each year in July, and in 2015 we hit a pretty big milestone with the 5th birthday. We typically create and distribute graphics and a presentation, help promote the events and give qualifying groups $500 USD to supplement costs for food / space / etc.

Since we passed the 5-year milestone, we wanted to start a discussion with user group leaders and the community to see how much value you find in the birthday parties. Are they an important tradition for your local community members, or should we redirect funding and efforts to other user group activities, such as sponsoring speaker travel?

We would love your feedback - are the OpenStack birthdays something that you would like the Foundation to continue supporting?

Cheers,
Kendall

PS - User group leaders should also have received communication from your local Ambassador directly about the availability of funding for special activities. If you haven't seen that yet, contact your Ambassador: https://groups.openstack.org/ambassador-program <https://groups.openstack.org/ambassador-program>