[openstack-community] Speakers Bureau

Jimmy McArthur jimmy at openstack.org
Thu Nov 19 18:46:34 UTC 2015

Hi all -

I've recently been hired to work with the Foundation to support the
OpenStack web properties. Previously, I was a project lead at Tipit, and
was supporting the Foundation in a similar capacity. I'm very familiar
with the speaker submission process for the Summit, from start to
finish, having worked directly with Todd Morey and the rest of the
Foundation crew for the last few summits. I would love to leverage that
work and the data we've already collected to help build a speakers
bureau for the community.

I'll summarize below some of the requirements I've gathered from
reviewing all the outstanding requests. Below that, I'll add a few
comments about the general development that has already begun.

Information that we currently have in Speaker Profile
- Date Joined
- Country / City of origin
- Funded travel
- Registered for upcoming Summit
- Past OpenStack Summit presentations / related material
- Bio
- Affiliations / Job history
- Opt-In to Speakers Bureau

Community Requests for additional information
- Areas of expertise*
- Prior speaking topics*
- Links to previous presentations / event names*
- Is the speaker willing to travel? To which regions / countries?*
- In which languages is the speaker fluent?*
- Professional references
- Sponsorship opportunities (travel, food/drink)
- Dates of availability / unavailability

Contact form*
- Name of organizer
- Email of organizer
- Event name
- Format / length
- Expected attendance
- Date(s) of event
- Location
- Topic(s)
- General Request

Add option to Sort / Search
- Name
- Company
- Region, country, city where the speaker lives/works
- Areas of expertise

As you can see from the first list, the Foundation already collects a
fair amount of information when we do our Call for Speakers ahead of
each summit. Earlier this month, we began work on the speaker's bureau,
leveraging that information. I suggest we focus on getting a minimum
viable product out as soon as possible, with the data that we've already
collected.

I've put an asterisk next to the items that are easy adds. We could aim
to get as much of that into a Phase I as possible. There are some more
complex pieces (Professional references, Dates of availability /
unavailability) that have potential privacy concerns or could complicate
things. Additionally, I think we should keep the form as short and
simple as possible, so speakers fill it out. IMO we should be cautious
about overreaching when asking for data and ensure it's easy for people
to manage.

My suggestion is to get some of these more simple items out the door so
we at least have a searchable list. From there, we can solicit feedback
and iterate.

Please let me know your thoughts and I look forward to working with
everyone!

Cheers,
Jimmy McArthur