[openstack-community] [upstream] Vancouver upstream training session debrief

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Jun 1 21:19:33 UTC 2015

On 05/30/2015 09:15 AM, Tim Freund wrote:
> I heard this from a few students as well:  even though they just saw all
> of the material, they thought videos for review would be helpful once
> they returned home.
>
> I'll be offering the course to some colleagues via Google+ Hangouts in
> the next few weeks.  I can record those sessions, then we can evaluate
> the usefulness, edit them, or re-record as necessary.

Sounds good, although video requires a huge investment not only in
production but also in later maintenance. Things get updated (too)
quickly and video content becomes stale too soon. It's worth giving it a
shot though.

> What if we had an interactive onboarding page that walked people through
> all of the administrative steps required to contribute?
>
> 1. Sign up for Upstream Training
> 2. Receive instructions to complete the onboarding process
> 3. If 7 days pass and onboarding is incomplete, drop the registration.
>
> A quick mock up:
> http://tim.freunds.net/media/images/upstream-prep-page-mockup.png

That looks great indeed. Something like that would be also useful for a
concept I and Thierry have been tossing around for a while: a 'ladder'
with small individual steps to climb on until the top. And the top would
be different for different roles. One first very rudimentary attempt of
such ladder for ATCs is the wiki page
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/From_zero_to_ATC although it currently
is just a list of links organized in a sort of chronological order.

> That would provide a filter, ensure that all participants are ready to
> contribute once they understand the process, and allow us to shrink a
> traditionally troublesome part of the training.

I think it's a great idea: provide a way to confirm their intentions by
going through a series of small tasks to get them ready for the training
in person.

/stef