[openstack-community] [upstream] Start engaging with students

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Apr 13 23:29:26 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-04-10 at 09:40 +0200, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
> Maybe a note saying that it's worth picking a bug rather than a
> blueprint is easier for them ? (and provide some guidance to point
> what's Launchpad and how to pick ?)

Indeed, although I think that this first message is to start engaging
with them. From past experience I know that some people will drop off
once they receive the first message and decide not to reply.

I sent an invite to engage with the staff. I'd like us to start
assigning them to mentors based on what they would like to do. The text
of the email I sent is on the wiki:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_Upstream_Training/Admin#Email_messages

I'm sharing the list of current participants (google Sheet) with all the
known mentors. If you want to be a mentor, send me in private your gmail
account.

> Also, I wonder if it would be a good opportunity to ask the new PTLs if
> they're looking for some help
> Also the GSoC mentors were happy to provide some items for students.

Let's have a look at the list of students and what they answered when
they signed up.

> Of course, if the student is picking a low-hanging-fruit, it should be
> easy enough for implementing it.

not every project has low-hanging-fruit tag, I realized while drafting
this guide :( https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/From_zero_to_ATC

Anyway, the second email on
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_Upstream_Training/Admin#Email_messages has links to the bugs to pick.

We'll send that a couple of weeks before the start, end of Aprilearly
May.

Cheers,
stef