[openstack-community] [upstream] Start engaging with students

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Apr 9 18:56:56 UTC 2015

Hello folks (especially upstream trainers and mentors)

I'm planning on sending a notification to all people who registered for
Upstream Training Vancouver, telling them the next steps.

In the past we've asked people to start sharing their thoughts and plans
ahead of the training and engage with the mentors, so they can help
students pick a low-hanging-fruit bug and get their dev-environment
ready for the live sessions.

I'll send all applicants something along the lines below, with
instructions to contact the alias upstream-training at openstack.org (me
and Chris Ricker are the recipients, so far, but adding Sylvain and Tim
for sure; any more volunteers?)

Expect traffic to increase in the next weeks :)

Cheers,
stef

        Nice to e-meet you and thanks for subscribing to the OpenStack
        University course.

        I see from your submission that you're willing to start to
        improve your Free Software contribution skills. This is exactly
        what it is about, although most people think it is just for
        beginners :-) Could you send me a few URLs of your past
        contributions ?

        A week before the course, we will choose a contribution that
        matches
        your expectations. Something not too easy so you get to learn as
        much as possible. But not too difficult either so you can
        complete it in a reasonable timeframe. Do you already have
        something in mind ? Or a specific contribution skill that you
        would like to improve ?

        Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions regarding the
        training program.