[openstack-community] BoFs at Summit

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 18:33:59 UTC 2014

On 10/09/2014 04:25 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On 10/09/2014 04:08 PM, Lauren Sell wrote:
>> Hey Everett,
>>
>> It’s a good question. We do not currently have a formal process to
>> schedule BoFs at the Summits. We started receiving a few requests for
>> Paris (Rich’s is the 3rd we’ve received), so it’s something we should
>> probably think about and plan for at future Summits.
>>
>> Any feedback or ideas on how we should manage the process in the
>> future? Our main constraints are space and not wanting to overload an
>> already heavy agenda, but we could most likely set aside a limited
>> number of rooms / timeslots to devote to BoFs in the future. We would
>> also need to set some parameters on the format / content.
>>
> A few thoughts ...
>
> I know there's always lots of evening events, but putting BoFs in the
> evening hours is a good way to use space that's vacant at that time
> anyway, and not overwhelm the daytime schedule. Since BOFs are
> traditionally low-tech, no-tech (ie no projector, sound system, etc)
> they can happen in a room with no assistance and, at most, a
> whiteboard or paper flip board thing. Or even in a space like the
> dining area at the summit in Atlanta, which would also be vacant in
> after-hours.

Hi, Lauren,

I'm still getting a number of responses about this off-list, and am
wondering if this is something that we could still make happen at this
late date. A room with the lights on is really the minimum requirement
for this kind of a meetup - we don't need mics or projectors or ...
really, anything.

Based on conversations I've had so far, there's a desire for BoFs about
packaging for various platforms, NFV, management tools for hybrid cloud
environments, and some other vague mentions that they'd like to do
something similar in an evening.

--Rich

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison