[openstack-community] May 2014 OpenStack Groups Portal status report

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri May 30 01:49:58 UTC 2014

hello folks

a brief update on the status of the groups portal (last one was in
December [1] and November [2]).

TL;DR
The deployment of the portal is blocked by a dependency on the OpenStack
ID service, which is a different project described on [3] and [4].

The OpenStack OpenID service is finally getting in a decent, usable
shape but cannot go live yet, blocked by another migration depending on
openstack.org... Yes, it's a cascade of dependencies blocking the groups
portal. We're working hard to fix them all. Hang on, things are about to
get better :)

The groups portal [5] is still very barebone: it currently can display a
map of the existing user groups, pulling data from a json file
containing the details entered on the User Groups wiki page. The site
can also show static content pages pulled in from a git repository (this
is a temporary way to quickly add content without having to implement a
sophisticated workflow in the Drupal backend [6]).

There are some minor UI/css issues and it's still lacking a lot of
desired capabilities but considering  how many issues we had with Drupal
Commons, how much time Marton Kiss had to spend fixing bugs instead of
developing the features we needed it's not as bad as it looks. The
issues we had with the framework seem to have been resolved with the
latest update of Commons [7] and expect to be able to proceed faster
from now on.

Marton will proceed working on the blueprints listed on
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-community and I hope to be
able to send another status report in a couple of weeks.

Regards,
Stef

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/community/2013-December/000664.html

[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/community/2013-November/000627.html