[openstack-community] OpenStack Groups Portal - readying for tech preview

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Jul 8 19:21:27 UTC 2014

hello folks

the groups portal is getting closer to its first public appearance in
its final form (will soon be at http://groups.openstack.org [1]).

The portal is going to replace the content on the wiki page, that list
of known user groups will be instead a nice interactive and constantly
updated map.

Besides the map, the portal sports a very nice list of events pulled
from each group hosted on meetup.com. Visitors to the site will be able
to see the list of known events on http://groups.openstack.org/events

The map and the searchable database of user groups is built out of a
json file hosted on:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/groups-static-pages

Static pages are going to be managed through git, too, as simple
markdown files. For example, see the proposed Code of Conduct
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/98205/

And how that would look like once merged:
http://groups-dev.openstack.org/tips/hackaton-howto

The whole system is fully published on:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/groups

FAQ:
----

Q - If it's based on Drupal, why are you using git for pages?
A - Drupal's workflow management and users/roles are quite complex to
setup and we wanted to go live as rapidly as possible. Since we had
already setup a module capable of importing markdown content we thought
of using the well tested workflow based on gerrit and git-review. We
will consider implementing the natural Drupal-based workflow in the future.

Q - you seem to be importing events only from meetup.com. Can you add
more sources?
A - Yes, as long as they come in a standard format. Let's talk.

Q - How do I add a new group? How do I amend the details for an existing
group?
A - File a patch to the json file mentioned above (until we have a
different method)

Q - I spotted a bug, where do I file it?
A - Good question. We're considering using storyboard.openstack.org but
until we announce differently please file bugs on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-community

[1] as soon as https://review.openstack.org/#/c/104332/ is approved
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStackUserGroups