[openstack-community] Proposal: USer GRoup, University, Academy Program and Student

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 05:57:19 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Frans Thamura <frans at meruvian.org> wrote:
> i propose we have 3 program , user group program, university program
> and academy program, and i think student ambasador will work special
> in all of them
>
> 1. student in user group help evangelism, and meet up
> 2. university, they can become trainer , my opinion university also
> can held in company as training center.
> 3. academy program, mostly embed the material above and openstack
> under curriculum, inside lab as school practicum.

An aspect that would require some more thoughts is - what are the
intended objectives. And, I ask this from the context of the current
user groups. A project like OpenStack receives wider and faster
adoption in what are called "communities of practice" -
individuals/groups who are already exploring various means to solve a
similar problem and, they would like to see how OpenStack fits in. A
student has a couple of constraints. In no particular order, these are
- unfamiliarity with the given domain, unavailability of
hardware/infrastructure to test, irrelevance to the curriculum.
However, the upside is that a student does have a very active
community they can participate in and, begin contributing to - via all
the standard means. Observing whether the current user groups can
undertake activities that do outreach to students is perhaps a better
bet than opening up new programs. And, figuring if there needs to be
anything special to help the user groups encourage the students to
contribute.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>