[openstack-community] Community Post: Open Networking Foundation has launched the first Open-Source "OpenFlow Driver" Contest with $50K award

Rick Bauer rick.bauer at opennetworking.org
Thu May 16 14:09:08 UTC 2013

Dear OpenStack Community:

While we announced this via the press and to our 100+ members, we wanted to
make certain that you heard the news about our Driver Contest. The award for
the best driver is US $50,000 (not selling anything, just passing the word
along to a great community; nothing to buy, no salesman will call). Like
OpenStack, we wanted our environment (which strongly relates to cloud
computing) to be FOSS.

Please feel free to circulate this notice anywhere you like, especially to
any development portals or communities in which you or your company
participates. If you have any questions, or are considering a submission,
please feel free to contact me.

About ONF

Launched in 2011 by Deutsche Telekom, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Verizon,
and Yahoo!, the Open Networking Foundation (ONF) is a growing nonprofit
organization with more than 90 members whose mission is to advance the
commercialization and use of SDN and the OpenFlow protocol. ONF will
accelerate the delivery and use of SDN and OpenFlow technologies and
standards while fostering a vibrant market of products, services,
applications, customers, and users. For further details visit the ONF
website at:  <http://www.opennetworking.org> http://www.opennetworking.org.

Good luck!

Rick
Rick Bauer
Technical Programs Manager
Open Networking Foundation

Press Releases

Open Networking Foundation Launches Industry's First Open-Source "OpenFlowT
Driver" Contest

Competition to Encourage Implementation, Interoperability of the OpenFlow
Standard

OPEN NETWORKING SUMMIT, Santa Clara, Calif., April 17, 2013 - The Open
Networking Foundation (ONF), a non-profit organization dedicated to
promoting Software-Defined Networking (SDN), today announced the industry's
first competition to create an open-source "OpenFlowT Driver." The
competition is open to the worldwide development community to create an
interoperable open-source implementation of the latest OpenFlow standard.
ONF intends the competition to produce an OpenFlow driver that everyone from
network equipment vendors and ISVs to operators, and larger open-source
projects can use for easy transitions between different implementations of
the OpenFlow protocol. The winner of the "OpenFlow Driver" competition will
be awarded one grand prize of $50,000.

"ONF is committed to solving market needs in very practical ways," said Dan
Pitt, executive director of the Open Networking Foundation. "This
competition is designed to encourage additional SDN innovation by seeking
additional open-sourced technology solutions. We want this OpenFlow Driver
to be of use for global developers of OpenFlow products, making it easier
for them to build value around and easily update the OpenFlow protocol
component with the latest ONF specifications as they evolve."

The competition is open to all organizations and individuals worldwide
interested in developing an OpenFlow driver that any developer can use in a
controller or switch to maintain compatibility among switches and
controllers. The contest will open for submissions on April 16, 2013 at
12:00 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time, and will close on August 15, 2013 at 11:59
p.m. PDT. Judges, who will be selected by the Foundation, will critique on
the following:

*         Compliance with the OpenFlow specification standard

*         Correctness of operation with test harness

*         Ease with which the submission can be integrated into a controller

*         Completeness of the implementation

*         Clarity of the code and architecture

*         Memory footprint

*         Potential performance and scaling of the architecture

*         Portability of the code

*         Modularity of the code

*         Extensibility and maintainability of the code

*         Integration with multiple programming languages

*         Performance and scalability of the code

The winner will be announced on September 30, 2013. The winning entry will
be provided under both Apache 2.0 and GPL dual-licenses for maximum
compatibility with both open-source projects and commercial ones. For more
information about the open-source "OpenFlow Driver" competition and
submission guidelines, please visit www.opennetworking.org/competition
<http://www.opennetworking.org/competition> . Competition terms and rules
can be found at:
www.opennetworking.org/images/stories/downloads/misc/openflow-driver-competi