[openstack-community] [User-committee] [OpenStack Marketing] qyjohn's quarterly report of the size and health of the 4 open source projects is out

Joshua McKenty joshua at pistoncloud.com
Mon Jul 8 18:24:06 UTC 2013

I believe that the OpenStack marketing community sees comparisons to other open source cloud frameworks as significant competitive positioning. Accuracy in that data would be valuable to the whole community.

I *know* that a number of OpenStack member companies use their "position" in terms of ATC contributions as a marketing point, and having an accurate baseline for those numbers might also be valuable. For example, DreamHost has suddenly become the most substantial contributor to Quantum *ever*. :)

http://www.stackalytics.com/engineers/markmcclain?metric=loc&period=havana&project_type=incubation

As for myself, I often use the count of individual members, corporate members, and total committers in sales and marketing materials - and I've found a number of discrepancies in the user database that I find concerning (duplicate names, etc.). Solid, official data is valuable for everyone - and I think inviting these other projects to join the activity board effort, by making it an openstack project itself, could be a great way to get there.

--

Joshua McKenty
Chief Technology Officer

"Oh, Westley, we'll never survive!"
"Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."