[openstack-community] Calling all user group and meetup organizers

Sean Roberts seanrob at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Jan 22 19:36:02 UTC 2013

Find below 19 items from last week's user group planning session with my comments inline. I read 10 unique to do items that I will be following up on. Let me know if you want to volunteer to take on any. I will report on progress through this mailing list and at the summit.

 1.  clarify what kind of users we are looking for or user types, classifying ADDED TO THE USER GROUP / MEETUP TEMPLATE
 2.  what is the goal of your meetup; increase adoption and/or service developers ADDED TO THE USER GROUP / MEETUP TEMPLATE
 3.  consumer vs operators vs developers; better classification devOps vs consumer ALREADY DEFINED BY THE USER COMMITTEE
 4.  beginner vs intermediate vs advanced ADDED TO THE USER GROUP / MEETUP TEMPLATE
 5.  Example event on API would be an advanced topic for consumers, operators, and developers  WE SHOULD WORK ON THIS
 6.  Provide an example of someone with some dev experience evolving over time in the user group to a openstack developer full-time  WE SHOULD WORK ON THIS
 7.  HP Mark will send beer and pizza anywhere in the world!
 8.  share user group list with stefano DONE
 9.  doug (atlanta ) needs speakers more than money THIS CAN BE SOLVED WITH A SPEAKER LIST
 10. encourage sharing of speakers over virtual/remote meetings between meetings THIS CAN BE SOLVED WITH A SPEAKER LIST
 11. subdomain vs page to hold data, stefano is working on a tool to organize the data I THINK THIS AN ISSUE FOR THE WEBMASTER TO FIGURE OUT
 12. How to create local leaders, provide materials to help develop their skills WE SHOULD WORK ON THIS
 13. We should get better at multiple media sources. Colin uses the example of the global warming movement, e.g. inconvenient truth slidedeck and video integration WE SHOULD WORK ON THIS
 14. User group training of new user groups by experienced user groups WE SHOULD WORK ON THIS
 15. Vendors already fund university projects and programs. Integrate openstack with these sponsorships/partnerships. WE SHOULD WORK ON THIS
 16. Lew tucker is already sponsoring Phd research. ping him on expanding the work. WE SHOULD WORK ON THIS
 17. meetup needs to add virtual attendees WE SHOULD WORK ON THIS
 18. facebook as an alternative place to publish I THINK IT IS UP TO THE USER GROUP OWNER. THE FOUNDATION SHOULD PICK A SIMPLE WAY THAT IS RECOMMENDED TO KEEP THE USER GROUPS MOSTLY ORGANIZED AND LESS CONFUSION.
 19. We would be really well served by a publishing form to ask the right questions, publish to the meetup page via APIs, update existing pages, post the right attributes like geography served by the meetup and type of user that would be served by the event. WE SHOULD WORK ON THIS

Sean Roberts
Infrastructure Strategy
seanrob at yahoo-inc.com
Direct (408) 349-5234  Mobile (925) 980-4729

701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA, 94089-0703, US
Phone (408) 349-3300  Fax (408) 349-3301

[http://forgood.zenfs.com/logos/yahoo.png]