[openstack-community] Openstack achieve the elasticity for computation

Vikas Parashar para.vikas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 09:21:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

IaaS is all about elastic computing. I can stretch resources as per my need
- increasing/decreasing the number of cores, RAM allocated etc..

My question is - how does openStack achieve this elasticity for both
computation and RAM.

If I create an image with 2 cores and 4 GB RAM (and one day I need to
increase this to, lets say - 6 Cores and 12 GB RAM), but all the physical
hosts that I currently have (for Compute and RAM) at my disposal have a max
of 4 Cores and 4 GB RAM each..

Using openStack -

a) is this possible (as long as the total cores and total RAM required is
less than the group-total) ? If yes, how is this achieved.

b) or the elasticity will be limited to 4 Cores/4GB  (The max capacity of a
physical host) ? If no, then is it possible to achieve it ?