[OpenStack Marketing] OpenStack Marketing Bulletin - March

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Wed Mar 6 01:41:42 UTC 2013

https://docs.google.com/a/openstack.org/document/d/1YhehK2xnXAVznLFvziHQSxwDhVBxs44NbqJlw5jZi0c/edit#

March 5, 2013

Please check out the latest OpenStack marketing bulletin with information, news and events to keep you up-to-date on community happenings. Hopefully this will serve as a helpful reference when you’re talking about OpenStack, so we’re consistently sharing the latest and most accurate information.

We welcome your feedback on the format and type of information you find most valuable. And as always, we strongly encourage you to coordinate with us for any company announcements, so we can help amplify your news via the OpenStack channels and our press/analyst relationships.

Updates & Calls to Action

Tweet ‪http://awe.sm/bDdq8 to promote the OpenStack Operations Manual, authored by community volunteers over a five-day book sprint!
If you have any news or story ideas for the next "OpenStack Update," our bi-monthly email newsletter distributed to 8,000 registered community members, please contact Claire Massey (claire at openstack.org) by the deadline Friday, March 8.
Thank you for your help publicizing the OpenStack Summit call for speakers! We had over 250 submissions, which is more than double the submissions for the October 2012 Summit! Look for the Summit agenda to be posted and speakers to be notified the week of March 11.
The OpenStack Summit early bird registration deadline is March 15. Please encourage your teams to register now and book hotels before prices go up!
If you missed the February open marketing meeting, which covered the marketing plan and slides presented at the February 12 board meeting, you can still check out the recording.
We're always looking for great OpenStack case studies to promote through the website and advertising campaigns, and to speak at the April Summit and Analyst Day. Please contact Margie Callard (margie at openstack.org) if you have a customer or know of a user who would be a good fit.

Highlighted Messages

Grizzly is on pace for the April 4 release date, and the feature freeze is in place. There were 191 blueprints completed in the release cycle, including many user-influenced features that make it easier to operate and scale OpenStack clouds (http://status.openstack.org/release/). More details on what’s in Grizzly next month.
OpenStack powers some of the world’s largest public clouds, widely-used SaaS applications, eCommerce sites and Global 1000 enterprises alike. CERN, Cisco WebEx, DreamHost, eBay, Intel, HP, MercadoLibre, Rackspace, Paypal, Sony Computer Entertainment America and hundreds more rely on OpenStack to run their business every day.
The open source cloud platform controls pools of compute, storage and networking resources at massive scale, making them available via a self-service dashboard.
Note:  If referring to individual projects, please remember to use the official names (Compute, Object Storage, Block Storage, Networking, Dashboard, Identity and Image Service).

Latest Stats

We currently have over 8,200 registered community members from 100 countries across six continents. Please note we’re moving away from the term Individual Members to saying “registered community members” as we have additional avenues for involvement (newsletter, mailing list, etc.) and not all of them will choose to join as Individual Members.
We’ve had more than 860 total developers contribute to OpenStack, averaging close to 238 contributors per month (http://www.ohloh.net/p/openstack)
Over 3,200 code contributions were merged in Q4 of 2012.
Local community leaders have established nearly 50 global user groups around the world.

Latest News

Morphlabs debuted mCloud Osmium, the company’s new OpenStack-based public cloud infrastructure. -- Feb 5th, 2013
Mellanox Technologies announced hardware-based network virtualization and storage acceleration solutions for OpenStack. -- Feb 13th, 2013
Ericsson unveiled new Cloud Execution Environment for carriers based on OpenStack. -- Feb 13th, 2013
Seagate joins the OpenStack Foundation. -- Feb 21st, 2013
The Ceilometer and Heat projects were promoted by the technical committee from incubated to integrated, to be released with Havana in October 2013. -- Feb 27th, 2013
Huawei launched FusionCloud, an OpenStack-powered cloud aimed at carrier providers. -- Feb 27th, 2013
Cloudscaling announced that IBS Datafort will use OpenStack to build its public cloud service. -- Feb 28th, 2013
IBM makes a big bet on OpenStack in the cloud, announced that all of its cloud services and software will be based on OpenStack. -- March 4th, 2013

Upcoming Events

OpenStack Day Tokyo, March 12: Local community members from Bit-Isle, NEC and NTT Data helped organize the event. Mark Collier will be presenting from the Foundation, and there is an extensive list of sponsors and supporters: http://openstackdays.com/en/sponsor/
PyCon, March 13-21, Santa Clara: John Dickinson at SwiftStack and John Mark Walker at Red Hat organized a code sprint for the Object Storage API. We’re still seeking volunteers for the OpenStack booth and job fair.
World Hosting Days, March 19-21, Germany: Kurt Garloff from Deutsche Telekom will speak about why they chose OpenStack for their Business Marketplace. Canonical, eNovance, Rackspace and StackOps will help staff the OpenStack booth.
Cloud Connect, April 2-5, Santa Clara: Robert Cathey with Cloudscaling is helping organize a panel featuring an OpenStack user.

Thank you for your enthusiastic response to co-sponsoring OSCON in the OpenStack Pavilion this July.  One spot (of eight) remains.  We are also planning a similar Pavilion at the Gartner Data Center Conference, December 9-12 in Las Vegas.  The estimated expense to your company is $12K.   If interested in either Pavilion, please contact Kathy Cacciatore (kathyc at openstack.org).

The OpenStack Summit will be April 15-18, in Portland, Oregon. We’re expecting 2,000 attendees from around the world, including developers, users and businesses. The following Summit is scheduled for October 2013, and will take place in either Europe or Asia. We’re vetting venues now, and expect to announce the location in March.

More speaking opps arranged by the submission deadline (not the event date):

March 7, USENIX Hot Cloud ‘13 Workshop: https://www.usenix.org/conference/hotcloud13/call-for-papers
March 15, CloudExpo East: http://cloudcomputingexpo.com/general/papers2013east.htm
March 22, Gigaom Structure: http://event.gigaom.com/structure/speakers/speaker-proposal/
April TBC, PyCon Australia: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGNLOGJXMHZpQ1pyMjdiOGhsQWZQUmc6MA