[OpenStack Marketing] New code name for networks

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Tue Jun 4 20:23:59 UTC 2013

The Networking team -- formerly known as Quantum :) -- has come up with a few alternative code names, which are being vetted by the legal team now and will be put to vote amongst the project contributors.  As Mark mentioned, in Portland we had a Design Summit session regarding the future of project code-names, like "Nova" or "Quantum," with regards to the incubation/integration/core process, trademarks and branding.  The outcome of the discussion was to pick a new code-name for Networking (rather than just use the descriptive name going forward), but to generally reduce our dependency on code-names publicly. You can see the notes from the session here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/ProjectsReNaming

We always use the official project names (ie. OpenStack Compute, Block Storage, Networking) for marketing purposes, because they are descriptive and tied to the OpenStack trademark.  The primary brand we want to build is OpenStack.

Hope this helps, and I would expect to hear some news regarding the new Networking code-name in the next few weeks.

Best,
Lauren