[OpenStack Foundation] PTG Board of Directors Meeting

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Jan 23 22:01:32 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'd like to suggest that the board of directors meeting currently
scheduled for February 26th be rescheduled.

I think this came up the last time the board scheduled a meeting which
conflicted with a Foundation event.

Every 6 months, as many of us as can manage to find the time, funding,
and travel approval to do so, fly to somewhere in the world to get
together and make serious progress on these projects that we all work
together on.  It's a really big deal.  We put a lot of effort into
planning it beforehand, and we save up conversations which we know are
difficult to have any other way for these events.

The same is true for the board.  What happens during the conference
calls, and what happens at the face-to-face meetings are very different.

Some of us have our feet in both worlds, and we're all the better for
it.  However, we can't do both at the same time.  They are both too
important.  We have folks who are involved in many OpenStack projects as
well as the board, and those projects will all suffer if these folks are
unable to participate in our cross project collaboration.  Likewise, the
board discussions will lack important viewpoints if they don't attend.

Scheduling the board meeting during the PTG sends a signal about how the
board values the discussions we have there and the participation of
folks engaged across our community.  And as a practical matter, if we
aren't able to have the discussions we need to at the PTG, we will need
to find yet another place to have them -- a problem the PTG was intended
to solve.

-Jim