[OpenStack Foundation] Updating the OpenStack Mission Statement

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Sat Feb 6 15:58:01 UTC 2016

On 02/05/2016 08:32 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> They are statements of 'How'. They are not statements of 'What'. And
> while they may be accurate most 'How' should not exist in a mission
> statement. It's the same reason we don't put 'in Python' in our mission
> statement. Except, they are even worse that that, because they are
> filler words that are so vague as to sound important but not give anyone
> in the project clarity as to what they are doing. Relevant technologies
> is what exactly? And is it the same answer yesterday as today?

To carry this forward a bit, the purpose of a mission statement is to
outline 'What' an organization is trying to achieve, the 'How' part
belongs in some other document. There has been some discussion recently
on OpenStack Values, and a document outlining those would be the right
place to include things like "approach development as a continuous
process of evolution", "integrate with established technologies as they
gain traction", and "avoid prejudice against ideas from other
development communities or traditions".

> """
> To produce a ubiquitous Open Source Cloud Computing platform. It should
> be easy to use, simple to implement, work well at all scales, be
> interoperable between instances, and meet the needs of both public and
> private clouds.
> """

+1 for clarity and conciseness.

I really liked Doug's emphasis on users and operators, so I'd work that
back in: "...meet the needs of users and operators of both public and
private clouds".

Maybe "between cloud installations", instead of "between instances"?

Allison