[OpenStack Foundation] [Diversity] Stats on diversity in OpenStack

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 08:21:12 UTC 2015

> Hello,
>
> I think one starting point is a snapshot (as much as we can) of what the
> diversity is like in OpenStack. We have some stats in the etherpad about
> the Summits -- is there a official document with those numbers?
>
> Summit attendees is one metric, but includes a range of people in
> non-technical roles and possibly not part of OpenStack.
>
> Better metrics would include the active members of the OpenStack community
> -- contributors, leaders and management. One measure of active members
> would be the list of active technical contributors (ATC) which should
> capture contributors to documentation and development of the projects. We
> likely need a way to count those contribute in other ways, but for now the
> ATC is a start.
>
> I see that the OpenStack signup form asks about gender and location. When
> was the gender question added? When was the location question added? My
> concern is that if they were added recently that few records will have the
> data.
>
> 2015 Metrics on Gender and Geography Diversity in OpenStack:
>
> 1. How many total active technical contributors (ATC) are there?
>            a. If I read http://www.stackalytics.com correctly, that would
> be 1316
> 2. What is the total ATC breakdown by geography and gender?
> 3. What is the per project ATC breakdown by geography and gender?
> 4. What is the per company ATC breakdown by geography and gender?

My recommendation would be to keep this centered on the community
structures and not include company affiliation (since it's the former
that we, as a community, have the most direct common leverage over).

> 5. How many project team leads (PTL) are there?
> 6. What is the PTL breakdown by geography and gender?
> 7. How many OpenStack board of directors (BOD) members are there?
>           a. https://www.openstack.org/foundation/board-of-directors/ has 21
> 8. What is the BOD breakdown by geography and gender?
>           a. https://www.openstack.org/foundation/board-of-directors/ shows
> possibly               2 women and 19 men.
>
> Did I miss any OpenStack metrics? Who would be able to help get the data
> for the stats?

The per-project gender breakdown for core reviewer teams would I think
be even more useful than the PTL breakdown (given the evolution in the
PTL role over the last 4/5 cycles).

I can offer the stats for the two projects I'm most familiar with:

  ceilometer: 3 women,  8 men
  nova:       1 woman, 13 men

My feeling (based on no more than anecdata) is that with the exception of
horizon-core and openstack-doc-core, the ceilometer-core group is at the
more balanced end of the spectrum.

One interesting thing would be to correlate the number of cycles that a
project participated in the OPW/Outreachy program and the number of female
cores on the project. (Not necessarily that this participation was driven
by the female cores, or even directly produced female candidates for core,
but rather that it reflected a more "welcoming" atmosphere on the project
in some vague sense). In the case of ceilometer, IIRC we mentored OPW
interns for havana, juno and kilo.

Perhaps the easiest way to collect those stats from the nearly 40 official
projects would be to mail the dev list requesting that all PTLs self-report
the gender breakdown for their projects.

Cheers,
Eoghan