[OpenStack Foundation] 2015 Individual Director Election results

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 13:39:59 UTC 2015

> Hello everyone,
>
> The 2015 election of Individual Directors has closed. The raw results are
> available at the following link:
>
> https://www.bigpulse.com/pollresults?code=4465BagptIqcEjm73VjmEpTk
>
> The full list of 2015 Board Directors is included in alphabetical order
> below.
>
> The Director Diversity requirement in the Bylaws, which limits the number of
> Board members to 2 per company, came into effect this election. As you can
> see from the raw results linked above, two candidates who finished in the
> top 8, Monty Taylor and Kyle Mestery, work for the same company (HP). Since
> Eileen Evans of HP is already on the board as a Platinum Member appointee,
> only one Individual Member from HP can sit on the Board as an Individual
> Director.  With a higher number of votes, Monty Taylor will be seated on the
> 2015 Board. This also means Rob Hirschfeld will be seated as the candidate
> with the next highest number of votes who would not create a Director
> Diversity violation per 4.17 (c) in the Bylaws.
>
> The elected and appointed directors will be seated at the first Board meeting
> of the year at 12:00pm PST on January 28th:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/28Jan2015BoardMeeting
>
> Thank you to everyone who participated in this year's Individual Director
> election and congratulations to our new and returning directors. On a
> personal note, it was great to see so such a strong list of candidates and
> such enthusiasm around the Individual Director elections. There are a
> limited number of Board seats, but there are numerous ways to get involved
> and show leadership in the community, whether it's through contributions or
> working groups or speaking opportunities. This is going to be an important
> year for OpenStack, and I look forward to working with all of you.
>
> Jonathan
> 210-317-2438
>

> Individual Directors
> Tim Bell
> Russell Bryant
> Alex Freedland
> Rob Hirschfeld
> Vishvananda Ishaya
> Kavit Munshi
> Egle Sigler
> Monty Taylor

Another election, another opportunity for amateur number-crunching ;)

One interesting metric to consider is the average weighting per voter
that each candidate achieved, and the extent to which this deviates
from the norm.

The average weighting for all candidates was 2.52, with σ = 0.67.

So we could assign an outlier score to each candidate's mean weighting,
based on the number of standard deviations it deviates from the mean:

 Candidate          | mean weight | z-score
 Tim Bell           |  2.52       |  0.00
 Monty Taylor       |  2.59       |  0.10
 Alex Freedland     |  4.03       |  2.27
 Egle Sigler        |  2.92       |  0.60
 Russell Bryant     |  2.40       | -0.17
 Vishvananda Ishaya |  2.13       | -0.59
 Kyle Mestery       |  2.23       | -0.43
 Kavit Munshi       |  3.92       |  2.11
 Rob Hirschfeld     |  2.06       | -0.70
 Adrian Otto        |  2.44       | -0.12
 Shane Wang         |  4.09       |  2.36
 Mark McClain       |  1.86       | -0.99
 Randy Bias         |  2.32       | -0.29
 Jesse Proudman     |  2.30       | -0.32
 John Griffith      |  2.09       | -0.65
 Richard Fontana    |  1.96       | -0.84
 David Lyle         |  1.98       | -0.81
 Kenneth Hui        |  2.20       | -0.47
 Edgar Magana       |  2.09       | -0.65
 Shake Chen         |  3.61       |  1.64
 Haiying Wang       |  2.66       |  0.22
 Peter Pouliot      |  2.47       | -0.07
 Arkady Kanevsky    |  3.02       |  0.76
 Andrew Mitry       |  2.30       | -0.33
 Kyle MacDonald     |  1.95       | -0.85
 Sean Winn          |  2.05       | -0.71
 Adam Lawson        |  1.81       | -1.06

A positive (negative) value in the third column is a measure of a
candidate's ability to attract disproportionately higher weightings
from fewer individual voters (versus a lower weighting from more
individual voters).

Interestingly, the most successful candidate is also bang on average
in this respect.

In any case, congrats to all!

Cheers,
Eoghan