[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack Individual Members: A special reminder to vote on the proposed bylaw changes

Alan Clark aclark at suse.com
Mon Jan 12 02:02:52 UTC 2015

OpenStack Individual Members we need your help - Please Vote!

Included on the upcoming individual elections ballot is set of proposed bylaw changes. To be enacted, these changes require approval by the individual members.  At least 25% of the Individual Members must participate in this election in order for the vote to take effect which is why we are reaching out to you. The election will start Monday January 12, 2015 and run thru Friday January 16, 2015.

The unprecedented growth, community size and active nature of the OpenStack community have precipitated the need for OpenStack Bylaw updates.  The updates will enable our community to adapt to our continued rapid growth, change and diversity, while reflecting our success and market leadership.  Although the proposed changes only effect a small set of verbiage in the bylaws, the changes eliminate some of the hard coded values and naive initial assumptions that found their way into the bylaws when they were initially created in 2013.  Those initial assumptions did not anticipate that by 2015 we would have such a large, active community of over 17,000 individual members, over 430 corporate members, and a large diverse set of OpenStack based products and services.

Through many months of community iterative discussion and debate, the DefCore team and board have unanimously accepted a set of changes that are now placed before you for your approval.  The changes replace the original hard coded "core" definition with a process for determining the software elements required for use of the OpenStack commercial trademark. Processes which will also account for future revisions and determinations for Core and Trademark Policy.

Complete details on the proposed changes are located at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/2014ProposedBylawsAmendment

Complete details on the 2015 Board Election are located at:
http://www.openstack.org/election/2015-individual-director-election/

Watch for the election notices from the Foundation staff and be ready to cast your vote.