[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack core and interoperability

Jim Jagielski jimjag at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 17:28:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> Yes, learning from the past. And yes open web. However, note that the
> numbers of players and scale of early stage business attention is quite
> different.

The numbers are yes, but the situation is not. And even the number are not
all that different, if one looks at the relative scale instead of absolute
numbers.

> Also, this is the second time you've suggested that you think OpenStack
> thinks it's too special and could learn more from its predecessors. I think
> that you're potentially missing the fact that OpenStack is largely
> descended from Ubuntu and MySQL in it's structure and approach and has
> taken many lessons to heart. But it's also important to forge the ground in
> front of us now, and not get blinded by the battles of 20 years ago, both
> good and bad.

Hubris is the enemy of progress. No one is suggesting being "blinded" by
battles, but rather instead *learning* from them.

> New times call for new choices sometimes. Apache created a new license
> back when, ignoring the existing ones. We're using it, learning. But, we're
> also forging ahead where it makes sense.

Ignoring? Hardly.

But that's just it... the times are "kinda" new, not completely new. Maybe
if you had been around back then you'd realize that. That's the value of
experience.

> So far, I think we're doing pretty well.

You are. I was just proposing that possibly listening to others might help
do better. The whole idea of collaboration is listening and learning from
people.