[OpenStack Foundation] Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013)

Lloyd Dewolf lloydostack at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 19:37:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 09:06 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > All credits for this should still go to James, as we used the same
> > script, and his explanations for each table are used below.
>
> Excellent work again, kudos guys.

> > The following table lists the sources of votes for the top 8 candidates
> > classified by the employer of the voter. Four categories are listed;
> > the first, "%Employer", is the percentage of voters for that candidate
> > with the same employer as the candidate. The second, "%Major", is the
> > percentage of voters from a "major" employer, which is to say an
> > employer that was specified by at least 5 voters overall (there are
> > about 20 "major" employers in the data set by this calculation). The
> > third, "%Minor", is the percentage from a "minor" employer, i.e., one
> > specified by less than 5 individuals. The last, "%None", is the
> > percentage who listed no affiliation.
> >
> >               Source of Votes for Top 8 Candidates
> >
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
> > |       Name      |       Employer       | %Employer | %Major | %Minor |
> %None |
> >
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
> > | Monty Taylor    | HP                   |    57 %   |  22 %  |  14 %  |
>   7 % |
> > | Rob Hirschfeld  | Dell                 |    59 %   |  23 %  |  13 %  |
>   5 % |
> > | Troy Toman      | Rackspace            |    68 %   |  18 %  |  10 %  |
>   4 % |
> > | Hui Cheng       | SINA                 |           |        |  29 %  |
>  31 % |
> > | Tim Bell        | CERN                 |           |        |  23 %  |
>  10 % |
> > | Lauren Sell     | OpenStack Foundation |           |        |  19 %  |
>   8 % |
> > | Mark McLoughlin | Red Hat              |           |        |  24 %  |
>   9 % |
> > | Tristan Goode   | Aptira               |           |        |  30 %  |
>  12 % |
> >
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
> >       [Some values have been omitted to preserve anonymity.]
>
> What I'd focus on here is %Employer
>
> Last time around it was:
>
> | Rob Hirschfeld | Dell      |    86 %
> | Monty Taylor   | HP        |    75 %
> | Joseph George  | Dell      |    88 %
> | Troy Toman     | Rackspace |    76 %
>
> The smaller numbers this time around means the candidates' votes were
> from a more diverse set of voters.
>
> That's definitely a solid improvement, but it still looks to me like the
> big blocks of affiliated voters have an overly large influence over the
> result. If the affiliated blocks who voted for the top 3 candidates were
> a more average size, I'm guessing they still would rank highly (which is
> great) but it would be a much more closely run thing.

Thanks for providing this data Vincent!

I'm surprised Lauren Sell's results were not also run against Rackspace --
I'm hopeful that would show the diversity of her base.

Reviewing this information now, it seems important to put it in the context
of the number of voters, and the affiliations of that pool.

Number of voters: 1389 · Group size: 4999 · Percentage voted: 27.79 (27.79
of total weight)
https://www.bigpulse.com/pollresults?code=2888d7aPUFe5Euveb5kiYNGT

vs from the August election:
Number of voters: 1935 · Group size: 5002 · Percentage voted: 38.68
https://www.bigpulse.com/pollresults?code=2601EKAFniDP554rVJb9RBxx

That is almost a 30% drop in participation. This would be a real call to
action if everyone didn't already know the reality of the pool. I suspect
that if the affiliations where examined we would see a disproportionate
drop off in the affiliations where senior leadership of those organizations
did not make the same well-meaning encouragement for participation this
time around. And, of course, because of the 6+ month membership
requirement, there was no ability to swell the ranks of the electorate
before the election .

I'm thankful that Mark Collier agreed to drop out of the race right before
voting began as two Foundation executives on the board in "Individual"
spots would have been a huge distraction to the success of the Foundation
in 2013.

We need to protect against this ever happening, and I am eager to see real
reform of the elections this year and protection of diversity. (We're all
responsible for the system failing to elect Anne Gentle, a candidate with
solid and diverse support being beaten by affiliated weighted votes in the
August 2012 election).

Thank you,
--
@lloyddewolf