[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack Mission & Goals

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jan 5 09:40:17 UTC 2012

Joshua McKenty wrote:
> Rick, in the last round of discussions with the other appointed members,
> we had agreed to give up appointed positions and run for election once
> the foundation was set up, but the plan for the next election was voted
> and approved at yesterday's PPB meeting, and only includes the 5 PTL
> seats and (I believe) 2 community positions.

The PPB essentially decided on dates and election officials. The PPB
actually doesn't have the power to decide that Rackspace would give up
its appointed seats rights.

So Rackspace could totally decide, while waiting for the Foundation to
be set up, to give up its appointed seats and have 6 community-elected
positions rather than 2. Four of them would be elected for 12 months and
two of them only for 6 months (so that we reelect 5 members in Fall if
the foundation is still not set up then).

The governance says "As OpenStack grows, the structure of elected and
appointed seats will be recalibrated". Now might be a good time to make
an incremental improvement to the Governance, while waiting for the
Foundation.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)