[OpenStack Foundation] Nomination Process Updates

Jonathan Bryce jonathan at openstack.org
Sat Aug 4 00:20:42 UTC 2012

For this first election, we need to give notice 15 days in advance, which is Sunday. The notice is required to disclose the dates, times and means of communication for the "special meeting" that will be held to run the election. Since we are a highly distributed community, our Bylaws allow us to hold meetings and elections by means of remote communication, and we will be using on online voting platform for this one.

We have 3 inspectors for this election: James Blair, Lloyd Dewolf, and Vincent Untz. They can be reached using electioninspectors at openstack.org. The method of voting specified by the Bylaws is cumulative voting. This is a common form of voting used by corporations for shareholder and member elections. We've been doing some research and have found a system that meets our needs (although it's not necessarily beautiful to look at): http://www.bigpulse.com/

The BigPulse system allows for cumulative voting and for the inspectors to run reports securely, such as by affiliation, to verify the results. Does anyone have experience with this system or alternatives to suggest that meet the cumulative voting criteria? The election inspectors and I are meeting next Monday to discuss this and some other procedural items around the voting. We'll then post more details about the election online on the link that will be contained in the notice.

Separately, and relevant to the profile discussion, within two days of giving notice, we need to publish a list of eligible voters along with their mailing address. This is another corporate election item, under Delaware law, to ensure that members have the ability to contact each other and organize appropriately for the election. It would be nice if we could get the new profiles, or at least the questions live rather quickly, so we could populate the list of eligible voters with people who have completed the additional required fields. It seems like we've started to have some consensus around an approach of having a set of checkboxes plus a freeform area that members need to complete. Does anyone have any further suggestions or want to take a stab at proposing a final list of areas of involvement?

Also in regards to the list of eligible voters, it only needs to be accessible to members. We are thinking that we will publish it, requiring a valid member login and displaying a clear disclaimer that the information is confidential and only to be used as provided for under Delaware corporate law (the same language as in the Bylaws).

Thanks for your help,

Jonathan
210-317-2438