[OpenStack Foundation] Nomination Process Updates

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Aug 1 21:11:31 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 03:58 PM, Benjamin Black wrote:
> In general, that is true.  In this case we are discussing
> representation by individuals on a board for an industry project which
> your employer has chosen to join.  They have a commercial interest in
> the activities of the board, now, and as an employee, so do you.  This
> creates a clear conflict of interest.  A conflict of interest does not
> mean you _would_ represent your employer via an individual seat, it
> means the incentives are present both for you and Cisco to do so.
> That is true for all other member companies and their employees, as
> well.  This is one reason I strongly support excluding member
> companies from fielding candidates for individual seats.

That is why no company can field more than 2 seats and why the paid-for
seats get chosen after the voted-for seats. The mechanism you were
originally asking about is exactly the protection against the problem
you bring up next.

If we did, instead, as you suggest and prevent individuals from
companies with paid-for seats from running, we wind up with a massive
problem. We would wind up with a board of directors filled purely by
people who are appointed by their companies combined with a set of
people who come from a pool that is de facto restricted to be missing
most of the active contributors of the project. Exactly how informed do
you think the conversations of that board are going to be?

I think that doing individual elections (likely to producing exciting
people like Soren or mysql) first, and then filling the paid-for seats
after with a total seat-cap per company seems like a good way to balance
the interests of the project-as-open-source-entity and the companies
funding elements of it.