[Foundation Board] Associate Members

Daniel Becker dbecker at redhat.com
Wed May 12 12:48:57 UTC 2021

I'm  in favour of this too.
It would be great to keep the language as inclusive as possible, I suspect
other institutions might have hurdles too.

Am I correct in assuming that there would be no voting rights beyond those
any individual ATCs would have?

Daniel

On Wed, 12 May 2021 at 13:40, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Tim Bell wrote:
> > Sorry to have missed the call, I had a last minute clash.
> >
> > I’d support the idea but it would depend on the details whether CERN
> > could join. [...]
>
> Of course! It was just a practical example of the type of "illustrious
> institutions" that could become members under the academic criteria.
>
> > For background, we’ve joined a number of programs such as Academic
> > member  of Ceph (https://ceph.io/foundation/
> > <https://ceph.io/foundation/>) and the CNCF enduser membership
> > (
> https://www.cncf.io/announcements/2020/11/18/cloud-native-computing-foundation-adds-46-new-members/
> > <
> https://www.cncf.io/announcements/2020/11/18/cloud-native-computing-foundation-adds-46-new-members/>).
>

> > For international organisations to join requires review by the CERN
> > legal and procurement groups. The process can take up to 2 months to get
> > approval.Specifically,
> >
> > - Extensive legal text with arbitration can be problematic and needs to
> > reflect CERN’s immunities as an international organisation
> > - The membership must not indicate an endorsement of the foundation
>
> Thanks for the details. If we decide to move forward with this, I'll
> make sure to float early drafts of the membership agreement by you to
> get your early feedback. I suspect similar institutions will have
> similar rules, so it's important that the language used does not become
> a blocker.
>
> > The use of CERN’s logo is not guaranteed. Alternatives such as a picture
> > of one of the experiments could be used  instead. However, in the past,
> > open source communities may be granted permission. There can also be
> > issues if there are other members with certain activities such as
> > military. A mock up of the web page is usually required to get approval.
>
> Noted!
>
> --
> Thierry

Daniel Becker
He / Him / His
M: +353863888464
(If I am replying on a weekend or early/late in the day, I do not expect
any response on the weekend and/or outside your working hours)