[openstack-community] Proposal: remove voting on speaking proposals for Barcelona Summit

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Wed May 18 18:42:33 UTC 2016

On 05/18/2016 11:24 AM, Florian Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Nick Chase <nchase at mirantis.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I, for one, am not fond of letting go of community involvement, for
>>> concern of never getting it back.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Florian
>>

>> I think that's a fair point, and another reason to enable comments instead
>> of votes.  People can not only feel involved but they will be making a more
>> substantial contribution to the process.
>>
>> Granted, this may not solve the "spam" issue, though, as people will still
>> be soliciting comments.  However it will be more clear that getting comments
>> doesn't mean getting in, so there's less incentive.
>>
>> ---- Nick
>
> So we currently have a fairly massive volume of submissions every
> Summit. I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of J. Random Summit
> Attendee here, right after the CfP closes. What would be my motivation
> for commenting on a talk that I don't even know for sure will make it
> into the schedule? Content suggestions like "could you please talk
> about X as well" or "could you spend some time on Y" are great *after*
> the talk is confirmed. But while it's still being considered, the
> logical thing is to say something like "I'd love to see this" or "I'd
> not attend this" — which is exactly what we have with voting, now.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Florian

Given the massive volume of proposals, and the time pressure we all feel, I do
not expect J. Random Summit Attendee to read / vote on / review all of the
proposals.

At best, they might look at all the proposals to the project(s) they are a
contributor to, vote on them, and wonder if the track chairs will feel the same.

But the situation we're in, I think, is that folks only vote on the talks that
surface within their social network.

I question whether that kind of limited exposure can allow for valuable feedback
to be given to track chairs, even if we change the quality of the feedback from
a "rate between 0 and 3" to a "fill in this text box".

So, I think I agree with you on this, Florian.

--devananda