[openstack-community] We are OpenStack, but who is We?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Mar 2 20:20:51 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-03 01:07:15 +1100 (+1100), Tristan Goode wrote:
[...]
> It would be better to remove ALL the free passes and use the money
> charged to expand the travel support program. That way the free
> passes could go to those that apply for them demonstrating in
> their application that they are a contributor, with no boundary on
> the definition of contribution.

I feel somewhat similarly. To me the free passes for developers has
been primarily because we're using the same venue for the design
summit as the conference, and want to make sure we increase the
number of developers participating in the design sessions by
lowering the cost for them as much as possible. Most of the
developers I know don't actually attend the conference talks unless
they're speakers/panelists, skip the keynotes because there's more
productive things to get done during those times (they're recorded
so you can watch them later after all) and view the expo hall as
more of a curiosity than anything.

With the proposed event split, it seems like it might be possible to
explore other ways of improving/subsidizing our contributor
community once its primary gathering is no longer conflated with an
industry conference.
--
Jeremy Stanley