[openstack-community] Tokyo Session for User Group & OpenStack Days Leaders

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Fri Oct 23 14:56:07 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you a heads up that we have a working group session planned Wednesday at 3:40 pm, and would like to get as much participation and feedback from User Group leaders and OpenStack Day organizers as possible.

http://sched.co/4Nyj <https://www.openstack.org/summit/tokyo-2015/schedule/main-conference>

More than a year ago, Tom Fifield and others in the community kicked off a process to help identify and define “official" user groups in an effort to encourage high quality, sustainable and community-driven groups around the world. We have since created the user groups portal (groups.openstack.org <http://groups.openstack.org/>) and began on boarding dozens of groups, but have yet to pull the trigger on the “official” user group designation.

One thing that has been missing is an official user group logo, which is an important part of the recognition and signal to community members. In April, we developed several options for official User Group and OpenStack Days logos and solicited feedback via a community survey. The logo options had the OpenStack colors and word mark, but not the traditional OpenStack “O” icon. The feedback was pretty neutral on the logos produced, with the primary request being to incorporate the “O” icon. After receiving the feedback, we stalled out due to bandwidth around the Vancouver Summit, but now have a proposed user group logo with the “O” icon and are ready to move the program forward.

Please join us Wednesday afternoon in Tokyo to voice your opinion and learn how to participate. The primary goal for this session is to dust off the official user group process and make sure everyone is on board, so we can begin recognizing official user groups with the new proposed branding as soon as possible. We would also like to discuss how the OpenStack Days programs and branding will evolve alongside it (openstack.org/event-policy). Finally, we would like to brainstorm other programs or funding opportunities that the Foundation can offer to help support official user groups — so please come with ideas for what would make the biggest impact in your local community.

We’ll of course be sharing notes after the fact via the community mailing list.

Thanks,
Lauren