[openstack-community] Contact sharing

Co, Dean Marc dmc at dungeoninnovations.com
Fri Mar 20 10:23:58 UTC 2015

Greetings.

Excited to see the speakers bureau, up and running soon. Our teams are on
Java, Python, Ruby, and Go; funny, no PHP in the last few years. Would have
loved to ask for help from some of them. :D

On sponsors relationships, while I truly agree that a blurry line should
separate it to keep things vibrant and un-"bullied" by big names, it is a
can't-live-with-them and can't-live-without-them situation.

In our case, Philippines (although we are lately more active in ASEAN
(HK/SG)), from 4+ years ago till now, there has been zero (0) corporate
sponsorship/support from either technology vendor and/or enterprise.

They will both drive their primacy and exclusivity over everyone else
(especially industry competitor) or they give nothing. A clear business
case and market/brand strategy was constantly requested from us. While
there was value in providing these, and we ourselves having some directions
on promoting the community, it becomes a deadlock after some time; or
everyone just does their own thing or nothing.

We once tried to initiate a free half-day seminar, for developers, to
introduce OpenStack Community Version as well as guidance on then
challenging installation steps. The reception had been a bit cold (which
hotel is it held? is the food good? are there any swags and souvenirs? any
celebrity). Pizzas and drinks for half a day in a cafe for a free
seminar/meetup did not work for us.

I guess you can argue the maturity of market is missing and we're reaching
out to the wrong groups of people or places. We'll keep trying.

A true interested and passionate local community will simply pitch in,
individually, if no else does. Maybe regional linkages and support would
also help.

*Thank you and good day, Dean Marc.*
Director - Engineering | Design | Innovations

*HK - Dungeon Innovations Pvt. Ltd.*
Bonham Trade Centre, 50 Bonham Strand, Sheung Wan
+852 81 913 409

*PH - Dungeon Innovations*
49 Annapolis Street, Greenhills, San Juan City, 1500
+63 920 2928888 | +63 2 7440320

http://www.twitter.com/deanmarc
http://www.twitter.com/javasparks
http://www.twitter.com/DungeonInn