[openstack-community] Release of Tokyo Summit Voting Results

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Sun Aug 30 20:46:16 UTC 2015

I was a first year track chair this year and I think that "your vote
doesn't count" is not an accurate description from what I did. I can only
speak for my thoughts and our track, but votes certainly were part of the
process. Some talks had no votes or primarily negative votes, they were not
considered much. But then you end up with lots of talks, well more than the
11 we could pick, with a good number of positive votes. We get to see
counts and averages, is a talk with 65 votes and average of 2.5 better than
a talk with 72 votes and an average of 2.4? You're splitting hairs there,
so we can only use them as a rough guide for interest in the topic and
speaker. Also, if we had simply picked the top 11 (by averages), you'd have
ended up with an unbalanced track too many talks on the same topics for
example or by the same people.

Our goals were many, but included considering:

   - how were the votes? high votes? high score? etc
   - does the talk fit into this track? is it too advanced/too broad/too
   narrow?
   - is it probably a sales pitch?
   - are we covering the right things here? Does it fit into the goals of
   this track.
   - is the topic interesting to attendees? We try to think about what the
   audience is for the track and go from there.
   - is this a repeat from a previous year? Some talks are submitted with
   very similar sounding titles (although sometimes updates on xxx talks are
   good)
   - does anyone know the speaker? are they active in the community? an
   engaging speaker? a new fresh face that would bring a different perspective?
   - is this a duplicate talk? For example, out of the 11 talks we can
   pick, we don't have space for 4 talks on Chef, so lets pick one thats good
   and broad enough and fits this track.
   - do any of these talks include any locals who would not normally get a
   chance to talk or travel if this was in NA or Europe?

These are how I considered/weighed the talks and the bottom line is that I
assure there is no secret cabal ignoring everyone's wishes and jamming the
schedule onto you. (If there is, I don't yet have my robes and secret book,
please send). In fact I know of at least one talk that included many
"luminaries" that we did not pick that I'm sure upset people. I had a talk
in another track that I thought was a shoe-in that wasn't picked and I
think many of us are in that boat. This process took about 6-8 hours of my
time and we had a smaller track with about 90 talks to look through, many
of the other chairs had way more work.

So I hope that sheds some light on how the process worked at least for my
track.