[openstack-community] Status of Ask OpenStack

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Aug 20 02:24:17 UTC 2015

Hello folks,

I'd like to recap the status of Ask OpenStack, one of the most visited
web properties in openstack.org domain.

TL;DR The project needs lots of love if we want it to survive.
Volunteers are needed to drive its progress.

I had a long roadmap for that project, from implementing new languages
(Japanese, Korean, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese to
start) to improve the spam filters, improve the UI/UX, etc but all those
requests had to wait for two major work:

   1) complete the OpenStackID provider so that Ask OpenStack could use
      it
   2) upgrade the code to newer upstream releases

At turn, these 2 work items depended on putting Ask fully under
openstack-infra umbrella.  That took almost a year but finally that the
project's infrastructure is finally fully managed via a puppet module
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/puppet-askbot/

The software is consumed directly upstream from
https://github.com/ASKBOT/askbot-devel and the html skin is pulled from
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/askbot-theme/

So all the pieces are now in place for the roadmap to resume progressing.

Issue is that I don't have time anymore to drive that effort.

There are issues open that haven't been addressed. The spam/moderation
issues are the most pressing ones.

The list of open issues is on:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-community/+bugs?field.tag=askproject

I hope that someone can step up to take ownership of this project and
drive it forward, considering that the Foundation has in place a
contract with the main developer of Askbot that can be leveraged.

Cheers,
stef