[openstack-community] Student Chapters at Universities

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Oct 21 19:56:00 UTC 2013

On Mon 21 Oct 2013 08:53:47 AM PDT, Bhavya Jain wrote:
> I would like to know if community supports formation of student
> chapters at Universities to reach out to the students?

I'm sure everybody here thinks those are a good idea :)

Cal State University in San Francisco has a group deploying and testing
OpenStack in the campus:
http://commons.sfsu.edu/report-openstack-project-campus. I know this
group is now working on an Havana-based prototype.

> Being a student I personally feel it would be a good method to reach
> out to the students community.
> If not Student Chapters, then instead of User groups, how would be the
> idea of Interest groups at University level? User groups could be for
> developers.

Well... user groups are for whoever shows up at the meeting, honestly.
We encourage all coordinators of user groups to check constantly with
the participants to the meetings to see what topics they would like to
see covered: if participants ask to touch development issues then offer
talks about developing OpenStack. But most of the times user groups
attract people that want to get started *using* openstack, covering
topics from first deployments, support proof of concepts.

Have you looked at the Howto
http://wiki.openstack.org/OpenStackUserGroups/HowTo for user groups? I
think it has valuable suggestions also for student groups.

/stef